Back pain usually gets better on its own within few weeks or months and you may not need to see a doctor or other healthcare professional. However, its a good idea to get help if:
- the pain does not start to improve within few weeks
- the pain stops you doing your day-to-day activities
- the pain is very severe or gets worse over time
- you’re worried about the pain or are struggling to cope
- you have taken over the counter medication and there has been no improvement
When you see a doctor, he or she will take a detailed history and ask about your symptoms, examine you back and discussed possible treatments.
Your doctor may refer you to a specialist or physiotherapist for further help. You may want to consider approaching a physiotherapist directly or you could choose to pay for private treatment.