In addition to home remedies, a health-care professional may provide further relief of pain with other medical interventions:
- > a doctor may prescribe stronger pain medication for severe coccyx pain not relieved with over-the-counter pain medication.
- > injections of local anaesthetic or corticosteroids into the coccyx area may be performed in cases of continued coccyx pain that do not respond to other conservative treatment measures.
- > if the cause of the pail is a pilonidal cyst, incision and drainage of the cyst may be required.
- > infection of the tailbone may require antibiotics.
- >Physical therapy may be recommended and helpful for some individuals.