To help relieve muscle pain caused by injury the advice is:
- Rest the affected area,
- Apply icepack or ice wrapped in a towel or use heat therapy. Do not apply ice directly to the skin,
- In conjunction with hot/cold therapy try pain relief medication.
To help relieve muscle pain caused by exercise the advice is:
- Gentle stretch the affected muscle and keep moving with some gentle exercises,
- Avoid very strenuous or high-impact activities for a while,
- Use relaxation techniques such as meditation to reduce tension,
- Try medicated gel for pain relief.