Sitting at the desk or in front of a computer for long time can cause pressure on your back and this can lead to back pain. Below are 8 tips to help prevent or alleviate back pain caused by sitting at the desk for long time.
- Adjust your chair. Adjust the height of a chair so that you use the keyboard with your wrists and forearms straight and level with the floor, this can prevent repetitive strain injuries.
- Support your back. Reduce the risk of back pain by adjusting your chair so that your lower back is properly supported. A correctly adjusted chair will reduce the strain on your back.
- Rest your feet on the floor. Don’t cross your legs as this may contribute to posture-related problems.
- A computer screen should be at eye level. A good guide is to place the monitor about an arm’s length away, with the top of the screen roughly at eye level. If the screen is too high or too low, you’ll have to bend your neck, which can be uncomfortable.
- Have your keyboard straight in front of you. Leave a gap about 4-6 inches (100 mm – 150 mm) at the front of the desk to rest your wrist between bouts of typing. Keep your arms bent in a L-shape and your elbows by your sides.
- Make objects easy to reach. Position frequently used objects, such as landline telephone or stapler within easy reach.
- Take regular breaks. frequent short breaks are better for the back than few long ones. Frequent short breaks gives the muscle a chance to relaxhttps://www.nhs.uk/conditions/back-pain/.
- For extra comfort, place a memory foam seat cushion on the seat of your chair and seat on top of the memory foam seat cushion. This cushion is available on amazon on the following website https://www.baraimporting.uk/innova-orthopedic-seat-cushion.html