Any exercise that involves using your abdominal and back muscles together counts as a core exercise. One core exercise that may ease back pain by strengthening the muscles that support the spine is deep abdominal strengthening.
How to do deep abdominal strengthening?
- lie on your back with a small cushion under your head,
- bend your knees, keeping flat on the floor and hip-width apart,
- keep your upper body relaxed with your chin gently tucked in,
- as you breathe out, draw up the muscles of your pelvis and lower abdomen,
- don’t tense up too much, this is a gentle contraction,
- hold the position for 5-10 slow breaths and relax,
- repeat 5 times.
Always check with your healthcare professional before starting any new exercise routine. If you feel a sharp or sudden pain while exercising, stop immediately and seek medical help.