A doctor, specialist or physiotherapist may recommend extra treatments if they do not think the pain will improve with self-help measures alone.
These treatments may include:
- Group exercise classes – where you’re taught exercises to strengthen your muscles and improve your posture.
- Manual therapy – treatments such as manipulating the spine and message, usually carried out by physiotherapists, chiropractors or osteopaths.
- Psychological support, such as cognitive behavioural therapy – this can be a useful part of treatment if you’re struggling to cope with the pain.
- Some people choose to see a therapist for manual therapy without seeing a doctor first, If your want to do this, you’ll usually need to pay for private treatment.
- Surgery is generally only considered in the small number of cases where back pain is caused by a specific medical condition.