(1) Avoid sitting down on hard surface for long periods of time. When sitting on hard surface lean forward and direct weight away from the tailbone.
(2) Purchase a U-shaped memory foam seat cushion. This cushion helps to avoid direct painful contact against the coccyx area.
(3) Use NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for pain control.
(4) Eat foods high in fibre to soften stools and avoid constipation, which can sometimes cause worsening pain in the coccyx area.
(5) For traumatic injuries, apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, four times a day, for first few days after the injury.